Wednesday, 10 May 2017

Adjusted cost Base :an explanation

Dear visitor, 
Thanks for dropping by.
Last week, I was browsing through the Canadian Mustachians on Facebook and came across the term"Adjusted cost Base".
What the heck is it? I never heard of it before, and since I haven't sold any of the shares I invested, never had to use it too.
Being a DIY investor, you learn all the time. That is a lifestyle thing, I guess. 

So, what is Adjusted Cost Base, or in short ACB?

In short it is the average cost of the shares you earned. 

Ok, I will tell you what I know now.

Think that I bought 10 shares of the Royal bank, with $50 each. Now the total price of the 10 shares is $500. simple math, right?
I gave $7 for the bank to do the trade. So, my total cost of purchase is $507, right? 
So what the actual cost per share? 507/10 =$50.7, so far good, right?
aslo assume that it happened in June 2016.  
Then I decided to buy another 10 shares of Royal bank in July 2016 for the price of $55 a share. Now the total cost for that purchase is $550 plus the trading fee $7 , ie.$557. Now I have 20 shares. So what is the average cost or Adjusted cost of these shares? (Adding $507 and $557 will be $1064 and divide that by 20, (the total number of shares now I have.) It will be $53.20
Now if I am selling 5 shares for the price of $65, so what will be the adjusted cost base of this sale?
(65*5)-7 = $318/5 =$63.60. 
When I am reporting capital gains, I will be using this information.
What was  the cost of purchase of those 5 shares? I will be calculating that using my ACB. 
ie, 5shares time $53.20 =$266
My sales income = 5*$63.60= $318
Capital gain to be reported = $318-$266=$52. 
I will end up in paying capital gain tax on $52. 
Now, I am working on to make a spreadsheet to calculate ACB for all my investments. 

1 comment:

  1. Too much for my tiny brain to comprehend! But it looks like YOU know what you're talking about :)

    ReplyDelete

Love to know what you think of my post.I will do every effort to reply to your comment and to visit your blog. Thanks for caring and sharing